Monday, May 24, 2010

Strange...

This actually happened a while ago, but the same people were on the street corners in Hanford this weekend and it reminded me of something that happened several months ago that I still can't get over.


So I'm driving along one day, and I come to an intersection where I noticed several young hispanic men on every corner (and on every median) holding home made posterboard signs that said something to the effect of:


Donations for funeral
R.I.P Uncle Mac
(and a picture of "Uncle Mac")



I did think the situation was a little strange, but I didn't think too much of it and drove the rest of the way to work. Then I saw the same group on all of the corners the next day... and every other day that week. By the third week, I had some questions.


1. Where is "Uncle Mac's" body being stored? I'm sure we're dealing with some kind of health code violation at this point.


2. What kind of funeral extravaganza are they trying to put on if after 3 weeks they still do not have the funding they need to carry it out?


3. At what point do we hang up the posterboard and spend they day punching a timeclock to cover these "funeral" costs?


I'm just saying.... it all seems a teeny bit fishy to me.


I had completely forgotten about this whole event until this weekend, while driving to Target, I saw the same individuals with the same posterboard signs that included "Donations for Aunt Rita and her battle with Leukemia".


Call me heartless, but I kept my dollar.