Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wife-Swap

I think it was Ludicris who said you can't turn a ho into a housewife... but I'll be damned if I don't try and turn my husband into one (a housewife, not a ho).

After a looooong stressful week at work, I got off on Friday in desperate need of the weekend to regroup. I walked into my apartment only to find it looking like the aftermath of the great San Franciso earthquake of '89. Now there are two obvious problems with this.

Number one: there was no earthquake - this is just how we are living. I swear I dedicate my entire weekend to cleaning my house and within just a few days it looks like I have never touched a broom in my lifetime. Is this just me? Maybe I got some kind of faulty apartment... the kind that undoes everything that is done. Maybe I should ask for a refund.

Number two: The year is 2010. Call me not-so-much old-fashioned, but the times of a woman's place being in the home are pretty much non-existant anymore. Excluding the lucky few, the cost of living is so high it often takes a duel income to provide a comfortable lifestyle for a family... well, this is the case for Matt and I anyway. To be honest, I love my job and I love what I do but it does get tiring working full time and being a full time mom/maid/cook/laundry service on top of that. I guess I just feel like if it is going to be 50/50 in the workplace, it needs to be a little more 50/50 at home too.

So Matt and I had a little conversation about it, and I'm sure all he heard was me saying "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... I bet YOU couldn't do it". And the bet was made. We decided to switch places for a week (well mostly I decided, but Matt played along with it). When I got off, I got to relax, read, watch TV and play with the Bug. Matt got to do dishes, laundry, pack diaper bags etc. It was pure heaven. H.E.A.V.E.N...

...Until the fourth day, when I got off I came home to a large sack from Comcast containing our DVR for the cable that needed to be installed and software upgraded. I asked Matt why he didn't get it set up, and not missing a beat he said, "it's your week for that". I couldn't help but laugh (on the inside - I can't let him know I think he is funny sometimes, it only encourages him). Now you have to keep in mind that only recently figured out how to change the settings from "TV" to "DVD" on our system. It's just not really my forte.

After about an hour with no success AND technical support on the phone, he stood next to me with his arms folded... "Need some help?" I stuck out my bottom lip and nodded yes. He smiled and said "Hmmm... that's funny, 'cause I could use a little help putting away the laundry."

Ooohhh I hate it when he wins. :)

1 comment:

Desi said...

He may have won the battle but he'll never win the war....